So, you’ve decided to take up martial arts. Congratulations! There are so many different styles of martial arts to choose from, it can be a little daunting to make your first decision. In this blog post, we will provide you with a beginner’s guide to choosing the right martial arts school for you. We’ll discuss important factors such as location, training style, and cost. So, whether you’re a seasoned fighter or just starting out, read on for some helpful tips!
Identifying family goals for martial arts
Think about your entire family. Who might benefit from a martial arts program, and could you define what you think their objective would be? Is it for your child to become more confident? Is it for you to relieve stress? Once you have a good idea of what everyone wants to achieve, you can start looking at schools that fit those needs.
Here are some of the goals families choose for finding a martial arts school:
- Meeting new fitness goals
- Family togetherness
- Self-defense techniques
- Anti-bullying programs
- Core values and discipline
- Sticking to a budget
- Being part of a community
- Competitions and awards
- Having fun
- Staying physically fit
- Location to home
- Classes for all ages
Location, location, location
The first step in choosing a martial arts school is finding one in a convenient location. If the school is too far away, you’re less likely to attend regularly. And if you’re going to be driving a long way, make sure the schedule works with your other commitments! You should also consider whether you want a private or group lesson. Private lessons offer more personal attention but are often more expensive. Group classes are great for meeting people and learning in a supportive environment.
Keep in mind, that location shouldn’t be the #1 factor… sometimes the martial arts school on the corner may not be the right one for you.
What’s your martial arts style?
The next step is to determine what type of martial arts you’re interested in. Are you looking for a traditional discipline like Karate or Tae Kwon Do? Or are you more interested in the self-defense aspect of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? There are many different styles of martial arts, so it’s important to do some research and find one that fits your interests. Once you’ve narrowed down your options, take a look at the schools that offer those disciplines and see which one feels right for you.
Take a tour, ask some questions
Once you’ve chosen a few schools in your area that offer the style of martial arts you’re interested in, it’s time to take a tour! Most schools will offer a free trial class or introductory lesson, so take advantage of that. This is a great way to meet the instructors and get a feel for the school. While you’re there, be sure to ask questions about things like class size, frequency and cost.
Here are some things you should evaluate on your own, or on the tour:
- What did the online reviews say? Were there any themes or things that stood out to you?
- What was your first impression? How were you greeted?
- Did it feel organized and professional? What about clean and well-lit?
- How often do their instructors train and learn new techniques?
- What is their staff turnover? How long have the lead instructors been there?
- How many instructors do they have? What is the student-to-teacher ratio?
- What are their hiring policies? Do they run background checks?
- How well do the instructors interact with the students? Are they good with children, and adults alike?
- What makes them different from other schools? Can they tell you without having to think about it?
- What kind of martial arts do they teach? If there is something very specific you are interested in, make sure to ask.
- Do they promote core values? How and where are they displayed and taught?
- Do their core values align with your own or what you’d like your family to learn?
- What about special needs your children or family may have? Can the school accommodate all of your needs?
- What are their prices? Does it fit your budget?
- Does the location work for your family?
About Super Kicks Karate
For the last 25 years, Super Kicks Karate has been leading the way in modern martial arts techniques and practices, helping students meet their personal goals and grow both as individuals and as martial arts students. Check out what students are saying about the latest improvements to the class structure.